Please Donate to Relief Fund for Victims of Terrorism in Nigeria. CANAN is a 501c organization and your financial contributions are tax-deductible.
Checks can also be written out to CANAN and mailed to our office at the mailing address below:
Christian Association of Nigerian-Americans, CANAN
P.O. Box 1041
Bay Shore, NY 11706
GUBIO, Nigeria (Reuters) - Boko Haram militants have killed at least 43 people in a five-hour assault on the town of Gubio in northeastern Nigeria's Borno state, witnesses said on Tuesday.
Thousands of people have been killed and several million displaced in a six-year Boko Haram insurgency that once saw the group control an area the size of Belgium in the northeast of Africa's biggest oil producer. But the Islamist insurgents have since lost most of their gains to military counter-offensives.
The latest attack, which a military source said involved a convoy of around 50 Boko Haram members storming Gubio, lasted for around five hours on Saturday afternoon and ended about 9.30 p.m., local resident Malam Yusuf Mohammed said.
Several news media have provided the information, which was initially published on News Rescue. Based on the available data, Nigerian number one terrorist was nabbed by the Nigerien troops at Abadam, Borno state, and taken across the border to Bosso, Niger Republic.
The official sources, including the Defence Headquarters, have been silent on the matter so far.
It is worth noting that Shekau was claimed . However, even despite the claims about the terrorist’s death, “Shekau” kept reappearing in the Boko Haram videos. Following which it was alleged that the sect head has many impersonators.
Borno State Governor Kassim Shettima has said there is the likelihood that the over 200 female students of the Government Secondary School, Chibok abducted by the Boko Haram fighters on April 14, 2014 may be held in bunkers in Sambisa Forest.
He therefore called on the military to go after the Boko Haram Islamic insurgents and liberate the girls.
Shettima claimed that the insurgents had killed over 300,000 people in the North-East, with his state recording 70,000 out of the figure.
He said that the 13,000 figure being reported in the media as the number of lives lost to insurgency in the North-East was therefore a far cry.
The governor spoke on Tuesday evening while presenting a paper entitled, “Holistic approach for the reconstruction and rehabilitation of the North-East ravaged by terrorism and insurgency: The national and international policy options/perspectives,” in Abuja.
The military has continued to enforce the 24-hour curfew in Maiduguri metropolis of Borno state, as only a “five-hour relax” was allowed yesterday to enable tens of thousands of residents to walk to their mosques and local markets to pray and buy food for the weekend.
The five-hour curfew relaxation was contained in a statement by the Deputy Director, Army Public Relations of 7 Division of Nigerian Army, Col. Tukur Gusau, and made available to newsmen in Maiduguri yesterday.
Gusau in the statement also said that the short and temporary lift of curfew in the metropolis was only for yesterday, between the hours of 12 noon and 5pm.
Let me start by congratulating you on your well-deserved victory. It is Allah that gives and takes everything including power. He has given it to you. We pray to Him to guide you in the onerous task of restoring the lost values of Nigeria.
Suspected Boko Haram militants attacked the village of Kojiti in Nigeria's northeastern Adamawa state on Thursday evening, killing seven people, two residents said.
It was the first reported attack in the state since the army cleared the Islamist jihadi group out of the Madagali local government in late February
MADUGURI – At least six civilians and six members of a youth vigilante group were killed in an attack by Boko Haram militants on Nigeria's northeastern city Maiduguri, two military sources said on Thursday.
The attack was reported late on Wednesday in Maiduguri, the capital of Borno state and the birthplace of the Islamist jihadi group.
One of the sources said the vigilantes in the so-called civilian joint taskforce died after they mistook female suicide bombers for residents fleeing the Boko Haram raid.
A year ago, a dozen Nigerian troops fighting about 200 Boko Haram militants in the town of Chibok exhausted their ammunition and ran, leaving the road open for the abduction of nearly 300 girls.
Today, Nigerian soldiers are rescuing hundreds of kidnapped girls and women from the last forest stronghold of the Islamic insurgents.
The reason for the unimaginably swift shift in fortunes?
In the last three months, military forces from neighbouring Chad, Niger and Cameroon have joined the battle. In addition, Nigerian troops are finally receiving better arms and weapons, as well as hazard pay that they had not received until this year.
With about three weeks to the May 29, 2015 time frame given by the military to totally clear Sambisa forest of the remnants of the Boko Haram terrorists, yesterday, gathered that the number of women, young ladies and children rescued by special forces has hit 1,000.
Military sources disclosed that consequent on the pursuit of the terrorists and the sustained air and land bombardments, the terrorists have become tired of running away with many of the women particularly the younger ladies still in the possession.
BEVERLY HILLS, May 04, (THEWILL) –The Borno state governor, Alhaji Kashim Shettima, weekend, exposed what he described as the ultimate plan of the Boko Haram sect even as he explained why the insurgents keep raping and impregnating innocent women after killing their husbands.
The governor made the disclosure during a closed door meeting with some government officials in Maiduguri, the state capital.